Re: What a modern collaboration toolkit looks like

From: Giorgos Keramidas
Subject: Re: What a modern collaboration toolkit looks like
Date: Sun, 13 Jan 2008 22:06:15 +0200

On 2008-01-08 14:07, Richard Stallman <address@hidden> wrote:
>     The URL identifies the repository. When you do a "pull", you obtain the
>     _set_ of all revisions that exist on the remote but don't exist in your
>     local tree (remember that in a distributed context every repository has
>     a complete history).
>
> What command do you use to get "the current development version"
> sources out of that local copy of the repository?

The current development version is identified by either a specific URL
(i.e. the unique location of an online repository st savannah) or by a
specific branch in this repository.

That is, the main "development version" of project $FOO may be:

    http://hg.savannah.gnu.org/sources/emacs/trunk

or the 'main' branch in this repository.

Given a local 'clone' of this branch, say in ~/work/emacs/trunk a user
can get the latest development version with:

    cd ~/work/emacs/trunk
    hg pull --update                    ; or 'hg pull -u'

This will perform both steps of (a) grabbing any changes of the remote
tree that we don't have and stashing them in the local repository
storage area, and (b) check out the latest version of the sources.