Re: 23.0.50; Display bug with vline.el and viper

From: Lennart Borgman (gmail)
Subject: Re: 23.0.50; Display bug with vline.el and viper
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2008 01:13:12 +0100

Vinicius Jose Latorre wrote:

Could it be a bug in vline mode?  What does vline mode do, anyway?

Drew answered what it does.

I do not think it is a bug in vline. The code that updates the display in vline-show is in a save-excursion form so point should be restored.

I had a similar problem in highline package.

Try to insert:

   (redisplay t)

At the end of vline-show function.

It did not cure the problem, but changed the behaviour a bit (when I added it at the beginning of the function, after vline-clear has been run). I think this might be a redisplay problem.

I tried to narrow it down a bit more. It happens when there is something like this

  a line that wraps
  empty line
  non-empty line

Try this with

  - screen height 3
  - viper-mode on
  - vline-mode on
  - point in column 1

Just press the up and down keys repeatedly. (Turn on viper-mode with viper-mode and turn it off with viper-go-away.)

It looks very weird that viper-mode is involved. There are viper functions in pre/post-command-hook, but AFAICS they does nothing here. (Am I missing something, Michael?)

Is there no one else that can reproduce this? Is it perhaps a w32 only problem?