Re: State of VC?

From: Dan Nicolaescu
Subject: Re: State of VC?
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2008 11:01:00 -0800

Tom Tromey <address@hidden> writes:

  > Tom> There are a few bug reports, some with patches, that were never looked
  > Tom> at.  Reviewing those would be a good start.
  >
  > Dan> Pointers?
  > Dan> I only remember one bug:
  > Dan> http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.devel/87064
  >
  > http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2008-01/msg00549.html
  >   (this patch is probably bogus)

Does this still happen? This might have been due to bugs due to the
introduction of the ignored and unregistered states.

  > http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2008-01/msg00267.html

This should have been fixed by a different patch.

  > http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2008-01/msg00410.html
  >   (a patch, not really a bug)

Don't know about this one. If you think is correct and you tested it, I
can check it in.  Although I hope you get commit access soon.

  > I also reported one about use of shrink-window-if-larger-than-buffer
  > and VC, but I don't see it right now.

Glenn posted a link to that one.

  > Dan> By this time I think that we can declare the vc-status experiment a
  > Dan> success. It is in decent shape and the code is still very simple and
  > Dan> understandable.  Do you agree?
  >
  > I think it has potential, but it is not ready.

Sure it's not.  The point here is just to move it from the
"experimental, can be deleted anytime" state to "work in progress, this
is the future" so that more people can work on this.

  > Tom> * Make dir-status back end function update the vc-status buffer
  > Tom> asynchronously.  This means using a process filter.
  >
  > Dan> I am not yet convinced that we should do this. The discussion on this
  > Dan> was started by your observation that PCL-CVS and psvn "pause" when
  > Dan> updating the display. It would be good to actually investigate and see
  > Dan> what the cause of the "pause" is, and make sure that it can be fixed by
  > Dan> going asynchronous.
  >
  > According to the psvn maintainer it is due to sorting the entries
  > after svn exits.
  >
  > Anyway the experiment is pretty easy.  I will try to remember to do it.

OK, thanks.

  > Tom> * Don't clear vc-status buffer when updating.  This means figuring out
  > Tom> how to insert new items into the ewoc at the right point.
  >
  > Dan> We don't need to do this right away an easy stopgap: we can keep a list
  > Dan> of selected items and select them at the time they are inserted.
  >
  > This is not the same if a marked file changes from modified to unmodified.
  > In this case it will disappear from the listing.
  >
  > IMO it is nicer UI for the entries to persist a bit.

OK. Would this need a change in the interface to the backend?