Re: Tabbed buffers

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Tabbed buffers
Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2008 21:47:48 -0500

> I don't think any interface that requires calls to display-buffer to
> know about tabs is workable, there's simply too much code that wouldn't
> know about them (not to mention we probably don't want to build in
> dependencies on system-specific GUI features like tabs).

I could imagine introducing tabs as a new concept between windows
and frames.  So the behavior of display-buffer could be configured to
either use the current window, or pop a new window, or pop a new tab or
pop a new frame.

In any case we should probably ask tabbar.el users, and (more
importantly) XEmacs users&developers since XEmacs has had tabs for
a while now.

For what it's worth, I think that if we introduce this notion of tab, we
should change ttys to use tabs rather than frames since tty frames
behave much more like tabs.  Of course multiple ttys would each get its
own frame.

        Stefan