Re: Tabbed buffers

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Tabbed buffers
Date: Sat, 26 Jan 2008 19:45:31 -0500

      So the behavior of display-buffer could be configured to
    either use the current window, or pop a new window, or pop a new tab or
    pop a new frame.

When a window has multiple tabs, only one of them is displayed at a time.
For most purposes, the non-current tabs can be ignored.
However, for purposes of displaying a buffer, switching tabs
could be one method `display-buffer' can use.

    For what it's worth, I think that if we introduce this notion of tab, we
    should change ttys to use tabs rather than frames since tty frames
    behave much more like tabs.  Of course multiple ttys would each get its
    own frame.

Tabs should be supported on ttys, but we should not get rid of the
current frame support on ttys.  The main reason we have frames on ttys
is to reduce the difference between handling of ttys and handling of
graphics displays.  People normally don't use multiple frames on ttys,
and that is ok, people can continue not to use them.  But getting rid
of them would just mean trouble.