Re: Implementing Eclipse's "organize-imports" in Emacs Lisp

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: Implementing Eclipse's "organize-imports" in Emacs Lisp
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2008 17:05:05 +0900

>     Assuming it does not exist, I'd be inclined to create a Java
>     application to run in the background which provides an IPC mechanism
>     to talk to Emacs Lisp.
>
> What causes the "startup overhead"?  Is it loading a large analysis
> program?  Is it parsing and analyzing your program?

I don't how much of it is the GUI bits (which presumably Emacs wouldn't
use), but the normal Eclipse app is _extremely_ slow just to start, even
before you load a project.

Of course it _also_ consumes vast amounts of memory, which make having a
persistent process around a bit less inviting ... :-(

-Miles

--
Dictionary, n.  A malevolent literary device for cramping the growth of
a language and making it hard and inelastic. This dictionary, however,