Re: VC Dired Mode doesn't support recursive directory?

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: VC Dired Mode doesn't support recursive directory?
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2008 21:02:44 -0500

>> But any VC operation is run from a buffer.  Either a file buffer or a VC
>> buffer.  The backend to use should depend on the buffer, not on the (set
>> of) file(s).

> Well, for vc-dired different files can belong to different backends. If
> you are saying that its not a good idea, then we are in complete
> agreement.

No, I'm saying that in order for VC-dired to make sense when files can
belong to several backends, the "current backend" should be per-buffer
rather than per-file.

So you can have a VC-dired buffer in CVS mode on /foo/bar while having
file /foo/bar/baz in another buffer and switching between CVS and RCS
backends in that buffer.

        Stefan