Re: Honoring traditional defaults - how to do it. [was: Transient Mark M

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Honoring traditional defaults - how to do it. [was: Transient Mark Mode on bydefault]
Date: Tue, 01 Apr 2008 22:53:59 -0400

    > Making Emacs easier to learn is an improvement, in general.  But what
    > use is there in having a different Emacs configuration which is easier
    > to learn, if it is not the recommended mode of use?

    It is useful if it makes it easier to get to the final result, getting
    there in two stages rather than going straight there - a bit like first
    teaching skiers to turn by skidding their skis on the snow, to give them
    confidence, then in the advanced classes getting them to edge their skis
    and get proper carved turns.

I am skeptical that it will work this way.  I think that most people
will learn the easy-to-learn version and stop there.