Re: 23.0.60; Resizing may delete windows

From: martin rudalics
Subject: Re: 23.0.60; Resizing may delete windows
Date: Fri, 04 Apr 2008 08:55:17 +0200

>>Please try with `window-min-height' 1.
>
> I see no difference (probably because my windows are large anyway).

There are two problems.  The OP's complaint had

(let ((window-min-height 1))
  (split-window-vertically 2))

with the emanating one-text-line window disappearing when the frame was
resized (de-maximized).  I proposed to work around the first problem by
setting `window-min-height' to 2.  If you could reproduce this and find
out where and why shrink_windows wants to delete this window, it might
be probably easy to find a solution.

Working around the first problem by setting `window-min-height' to 1 as

(progn
  (setq window-min-height 1)
  (split-window nil 2))

exhibits a second problem, namely that resizing the frame may get me the
emanating one-text-line window without a modeline.  I can fix that
second problem by calling shrink_windows as

        new_sizes = shrink_windows (total, size, nchildren, n, 2,
                                    resize_fixed_p, *forward, width_p);

which has the, possibly unwanted, side-effect that a window without
modeline cannot be shrunk (by shrink_windows) to a height of 1.