Re: 23.0.60; Feature request: Menu item "load init files" after -q/-Q

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: 23.0.60; Feature request: Menu item "load init files" after -q/-Q
Date: Sun, 06 Apr 2008 20:46:33 -0400

>> > In XEmacs, `sendmail' is always configured.
>>
>> I'm not sure we're talking about the same thing.  The question is mostly
>> whether or not the message will reach its destination.  MUA frills like
>> support for MIME are quite secondary in comparison.

> Oh, OK.  But either that's just as much a problem in plain `emacs' as
> in `emacs -Q', or it will normally be fixed by loading the init files.
> That's what confused me.

But that's the issue: if sending mail works "reliably" from "emacs -Q"
there's no need for "load .emacs".

> I think it may be good enough to condition-case the sending function,
> and if it fails inform the user that the buffer may be saved with C-x
> C-w and then sent in any way the user normally uses to send files by
> mail.

The case when there's an error is the easy one.  The problem is when
sendmail accepts the mail and then silently drops it, sends it to
someone who'll drop it as "spam", or sends it to a black hole that
nobody will ever look at (e.g. a local mailbox).

        Stefan