Re: 23.0.60; 'default' face not set properly in new frame

From: Tim Van Holder
Subject: Re: 23.0.60; 'default' face not set properly in new frame
Date: Mon, 7 Apr 2008 09:46:56 +0200

(sorry, forgot to cc the list)

On Sat, Apr 5, 2008 at 10:26 PM, Chong Yidong <address@hidden> wrote:
> Tim Van Holder <address@hidden> writes:
>
>  > While in an ediff-buffers session, I executed M-x make-frame to get a new
>  > window. That newly created window did not have the correct font set (it
>  > used Adobe Courier while I have the default face customized to use the
>  > Terminus font).
>  > M-x customize-face default showed it as "SAVED and set" with courier as
>  > the font family. "Reset to saved settings" caused both frames to be
>  > repainted, using the correct font.
>  > Another M-x make-frame once again used the wrong font, so it seems
>  > something goes wrong during frame creation causing new frames to get an
>  > incorrectly set default face.
>
>  I can't reproduce this.  Please give a detailed recipe for reproducing
>  this bug, starting with emacs -Q

100% reproduction for me with:

$ emacs -Q
M-x customize-face default
-> font-family starts out set to 'adobe-courier'
-> change it to 'terminus' (or some other font, like 'fixed')
-> set for current session (frame repaints with the new font)
M-x make-frame
-> get new frame, with adobe-courier
-> another 'set for current session' on default face repaints all
   frames with the configured font, but every subsequent make-frame keeps
   creating one with courier

This is with a freshly built emacs from CVS (regular rebuild, not full
bootstrap).