Re: visual marks [was: Preserving sanity in Emacs [Re: rampant region hi

From: David De La Harpe Golden
Subject: Re: visual marks [was: Preserving sanity in Emacs [Re: rampant region highlighting]
Date: Mon, 07 Apr 2008 16:43:43 +0100

Drew Adams wrote:
>> Aside: I wonder
>> if the mark ring would be more appreciated as a bookmarking mechanism
>> if it were visually represented, maybe little display blips.)
>

> . http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/VisibleMark - highlights only the
> (current) mark, not multiple marks on mark-ring.

Cool, should have thought to check there...

It can highlight multiple marks, if you adjust visible-mark-max to =
mark-ring-max you get all marks.  Quite nice as it is, even though it's
very simple - though when it's showing multiple marks, you'd definitely
really want the current mark to be specially indicated unless you've
also got t-m-m highlighting on (which I do of course, but it would also
be useful as an alternative to t-m-m highlighting).

The mark ring marks of course aren't necessarily in display order,
they're in the order you set them, so without any visual differentiation
between the different mark ring mark highlights, you can't really tell
from the display which mark you'll end up at when you hit C-u C-SPC, you
just know it's one of 'em - once I could see the marks, I found myself
wanting "jump to next/prev mark relative to point, in display order"
more than "pop mark".