RE: Tab bar

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Tab bar
Date: Mon, 7 Apr 2008 17:21:05 -0700

> > I am not sure how that could work and look. One important
> > thing about tabs IMO is the ability to use C-tab/C-S-tab
> > to switch tab.
>
> There is also a feature that after pressing <C-tab> it
> displays a list of all tabs, <tab> navigates to the next
> tab in this temporarily displayed list while you still
> hold the Ctrl key, and releasing the Ctrl key switches
> to the selected tab.  It seems this is not possible
> to implement in Emacs, since it requires distinguishing
> between key press and release events.

Thank goodness.

In any case, possible or not, count me as one voice against giving yet another
interpretation to TAB (C-TAB, C-S-TAB, ...) in Emacs. Enough already.

It doesn't matter if other programs have found 187 other "standard" uses for TAB
- TAB has enough behaviors in Emacs. We should save use of modifiers with TAB
for things closely related to TAB's existing behaviors.