Re: Small improvement of emacs 23 display on win32

From: Jason Rumney
Subject: Re: Small improvement of emacs 23 display on win32
Date: Tue, 08 Apr 2008 09:35:25 +0100

Kyle M. Lee wrote:
> After that I found the emacs 23 flashes much lesser as running *without*
> --disable-font-backend.

I appreciate the effort you put in to try to help, but the flickering is
a bug (which was fixed late last week), and using double buffering to
hide the bug is not the right solution.

Double buffering is useful to hide flickering when it cannot be avoided,
but in Emacs we have always tuned the redisplay to eliminate the need
for such tricks. Avoiding double buffering improves performance overall,
even if you sometime perceive Emacs to be slower because you see the
drawing progress instead of being forced to wait until drawing is
complete before it appears on screen.