Re: Tab bar

From: David De La Harpe Golden
Subject: Re: Tab bar
Date: Wed, 09 Apr 2008 03:50:55 +0100

Lennart Borgman (gmail) wrote:

> Thanks David.
>
> I can't understand this. Why are they fighting a (rather) well
> established standard on w32 instead of using it to their favor to get
> new users?

Not sure you can take for granted that developers - and users - of other
desktop guis (or even w32) are as familiar with w32 as you might be. :-)
I myself have relatively seldom used w32 (amiga->gnu/linux in 1990s...),
and of w32 users I know, most aren't at a skill level where they'd use
many keyboard shortcuts to navigate...  So, I had no idea C-TAB
did that on windows, and on gnu/linux I'm used to C-PgUp/Dn - turns out
I've been missing out, Tk notebooks use C-TAB, I just didn't discover
that until now.

Anyway, you can't be significantly better than w32 by just imitating
w32. :-)  I'd say it's way more important that the shortcuts are vaguely
consistent intra-platform than inter-platform - mac shortcuts
quite often differ from w32 too...

... of course, they're _not_ always consistent intra-platform on
gnu/linux X11 desktops, but within a single toolkit/desktop-environment
application family you've some hope.