Re: Emacs-diffs Digest, Vol 65, Issue 105

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Emacs-diffs Digest, Vol 65, Issue 105
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2008 23:17:58 +0300

Re: this:

>    if (!NILP (Vw32_get_true_file_attributes)
> +      && !(EQ (vw32_get_true_file_attributes, Qlocal) &&
> +        GetDriveType (name) == DRIVE_FIXED)
>        /* No access rights required to get info.  */
>        && (fh = CreateFile (name, 0, 0, NULL, OPEN_EXISTING,
>                          FILE_FLAG_BACKUP_SEMANTICS, NULL))

If we want to improve performance during completion on remote volumes,
it is IMO better to temporarily disable w32-get-true-file-attributes
inside file_name_completion_stat, a subroutine of file_name_completion,
since the only attribute the latter cares about is the directory bit.
The DJGPP (a.k.a. MSDOS) port does something similar there.

In fact, we could call `access' there instead of `stat', which is much
cheaper that `stat' on Windows.  Would it hurt other platforms if
file_name_completion_stat called `access', btw?