Re: 23.0.60; etc/DOC-${version}.buildnumber

From: Peter Dyballa
Subject: Re: 23.0.60; etc/DOC-${version}.buildnumber
Date: Sat, 12 Apr 2008 20:55:57 +0200

Am 12.04.2008 um 19:24 schrieb Eli Zaretskii:
Maybe I completely misunderstand the issue at hand: are we talking
about files in the build directory or in the install directory?
("make clean" is relevant to the former, not the latter.)

About both. Because the DOC files in the build tree are also installed.

If Peter and you are talking about the build directory, then the
previous DOC should probably be removed, but do we really want the
build number NOT to be incremented anyway?

I want to have control over this mechanism. Usually I want to have only one build number version (and I don't want to waste time by re- configuring again after a 'make distclean' or such). Because when it happens that I start over, none of the installed superfluous DOC files and Emacs versions are de-installed. This worked until some day in winter, in February, I think. Then the etc/DOC-$ {version}.buildnumber<s> files were saved and new ones with incremented build numbers were created, and sometimes also installed when I did not pay attention. This seems to have changed recently (I am still waiting for a 'make bootstrap' to finish) ...

--
Greetings

  Pete

Behold the warranty ... the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.