Re: 23.0.60; Bold screen fonts have been unbolded

From: Paul R
Subject: Re: 23.0.60; Bold screen fonts have been unbolded
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2008 11:59:41 +0200

David Kastrup <address@hidden> writes:

> This is pretty weird: I don't replace my Emacs that often, so I am not
> sure when this started: some place in the last months.  The effect I see
> is that bold (and strong-colored) fonts don't appear bold or
> strong-colored but with normal stroke width and somewhat dulled.
>
> The crazy thing is that while I drag the frame around on the desktop
> (which I would have thought used image copy operations), the fonts
> appear properly fattened and colored.  When the movement stops, they
> immediately (without releasing the mouse button or anything else) become
> normal weight and thin-colored again.
>
> Does the version info provide a clue?  Do others see this effect as
> well?  For what it's worth: I have an ATI graphics card in the laptop
> and that has produced some other artifacts at times, so there is a
> possibility of a driver problem, but I somewhat doubt it.

I do not experience this problem on my setup :
 - 10 days old emacs build with new font backend
 - Gnu/Linux (current ubuntu stable)
 - X Window System Version 1.3.0, Release Date: 19 April 2007
 - VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc RV350 [Mobility Radeon 9600
M10]
 - Driver          "radeon"  (the libre one)
 - starting with :  emacs -fn "Dejavu Sans Mono-14"

--
      Paul