Long live Aspell

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Long live Aspell
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2008 11:02:26 -0400

Date: Sun, 13 Apr 2008 13:47:51 -0600 (MDT)
From: Kevin Atkinson <address@hidden>
To: Karl Berry <address@hidden>
cc: address@hidden
Subject: Re: hunspell/aspell?

On Sun, 13 Apr 2008, Karl Berry wrote:

> Hi Kevin,
>
> There was some talk on the Emacs list about using Hunspell; I'll append
> the most useful bit below, a message between rms and Eli.  Do you think
> there is any chance of adding such features to aspell?

See the To Do section on Aspell home page (http://aspell.net).  So Yes I
hope to add Hunspell features to Aspell.  The first item on the list
"Twofold suffix stripping" is mostly implemented.  I hope to have the
other item "Better support for compound words ..." implemented by Aspell
0.61.

Hunspell is most directly related to MySpell as it is based on it's code
base.  Aspell is still the best spell checker to use for English since it
does a superior job of suggesting possible replacements for a misspelled
words.  For some other languages Hunspell is better like Hungarian and
Turkish, for others both Aspell and Hunspell work equally well.

Also Aspell functions much better as an independent application than
Hunspell does.