Re: 23.0.60; Heavy display problems with new font backend

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: 23.0.60; Heavy display problems with new font backend
Date: Sun, 20 Apr 2008 11:37:31 +0200

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:

>>   - quite often a "w", "k", "S" or "r" looks bold although it
>>     shouldn't
>
> This is a case of overwrite: each time you put the cursor next to a
> char, it seems that the char gets redrawn over itself, so with
> anti-aliasing it gets darker&darker (i.e. bolder and bolder).

Hm, but how can the direction in which point moves over the char change
that?  Most of the time (if not always), moving from right to left made
the char regular again.  Moving backwords made it appear boldish.

>>   - fonts aren't sharp as if subpixel hinting was disabled
>
> IIUC subpixel anti-aliasing is indeed not enabled.

I've set it in XFCE for all applications and added duplicate settings to
my .Xdefaults to be sure.

Bye,
Tassilo