Re: delete-selection-mode

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: delete-selection-mode
Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2008 20:12:15 +0200

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:

>>> Please make a copy of Wordpad and call it Emacs.  Presumably that should
>>> meet all of your new users' expectations without you needing to bother
>>> the rest of the list readers.
>
>> Maybe I have better get used to Wordpad. Your sparkling intelligence will
>> perhaps scare away all new users and finally kill Emacs.
>
> The code, people, look at the code.

It apparently is in a state of complete messiness which indeed
introduces some sort of "shiftiness active".

Try S-Right S-Right C-x C-x Left.  The region is not extended.

I don't remember _any_ discussion about this somewhat volatile
_additional_ region active state (of which there are already too many).

Or try something like C-SPC Right Right C-x C-x S-Left and look and
behold, the existing active region gets removed and a new is started.

What is the design for that, if any?  Can somebody express the current
default semantics in a few simple sentences?