Re: Please stop proposing changes in defaults!

From: Paul R
Subject: Re: Please stop proposing changes in defaults!
Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2008 23:32:19 +0200

> In the past week we have seen two more proposals to change Emacs
> defaults: one about C-h in isearch, and one about Delete Selection
> mode.

The thread about C-h in isearch was very productive, and it would be a
waste of effort to ignore what can be derived from it.

> These proposals lead to big discussions and do not really advance
> Emacs.

You can maybe help this work to be more productive. Default settings
is a topic raised more and more often because people feel some useful
work can be done in this area. Maybe we can attribute this evolution
to the fact that people, in the past, used to discover emacs without
being really accustomed to any consistent behaviour accross other
programs. Now, people come to emacs with some backgrounds in
computing, and expect more from defaults.

> Please stop proposing such changes, and work instead on implementing
> new capabilities.

People work well when they work happily. People work happily on what
they feel important. What would you think about a dedicated project to
improve emacs defaults ? Do you think it would be more productive ?
Would you like it to be more productive ?

--
      Paul