file-name-history - avoid/remove entries

From: Suno Ano
Subject: file-name-history - avoid/remove entries
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2008 10:06:20 +0200

I am using

,----[ in my .emacs ]
| ;;;_  . Desktop restore
|
| (require 'desktop)
| (desktop-save-mode t)
| (setq inhibit-startup-message t)
| (setq history-length 1500)
| (add-to-list 'desktop-globals-to-save 'file-name-history)
| (desktop-read)
`----

Problem is, the file ~/.emacs.desktop contains redundant entries as well
as many entries I do not want to be in there. I figured it would be
great to have something implemented that

 - avoids redundant entries in file-name-history plus
 - some sort of white-listing respectively black-listing mechanism in
   order to determine what goes in there or not. Whether black or white
   listing is used, it could be based on some regex i.e. it would be
   possible to e.g. exclude/include whole filesystem paths altogether or
   just particular files.

What do people think about this?