Re: patch for optional inhibit of delete-other-windows(IDE feature)

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: patch for optional inhibit of delete-other-windows(IDE feature)
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2008 21:25:18 -0400

> As discussed in the IDE threads, it would be desirable to be able to
> optionally change certain window operations.

> This patch makes it possible to disable delete-other-windows for a
> window.

> Its only lightly tested, and I offer it here mostly to discuss the
> interface.

> To test:

> - make several windows

> -  (set-window-operation-behaviour-flags (window-at 0 0)
> '(delete-other-windows t))

> The topmost window now wont go away even if you do c-x 1 in the other windows.

> If the windows plist window-operation-behaviour-flags
> delete-other-windows is t, the window is not electable for deletion when
> delete-other-windows is run.

I'd rather add window-parameter and set-window-parameter.  After all,
most objects have such things and it's useful for more than just
"behavior flags".

Such an addition is useful in general and can be installed right away.

As for the introduction of special meaning for some parameters so as to
influence delete-other-windows, while I think it may work well, I'd
rather first see it fully developed and shown to be a good fit for ECB,
before installing it.  This is because there's a good chance that it may
not work quite as needed at first and that the design requires some
rounds of refinement until it's really what we want.

So I suggest you work on a separate branch for that.

        Stefan