Re: Alternative fringe bitmaps for continuation/truncation

From: Jason Rumney
Subject: Re: Alternative fringe bitmaps for continuation/truncation
Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2008 11:53:29 +0100

Kim F. Storm wrote:

I agree that they are a bit too cryptic for general acceptance.

I think these are much better:

(define-fringe-bitmap 'right-truncation
  "\x04\x02\xa9\x02\x04" nil nil 'bottom)
(define-fringe-bitmap 'left-truncation
  "\x20\x40\xaa\x40\x20" nil nil 'bottom)

Yes, those are obviously arrows, I don't think they will be mistaken for a bug. I think all of these would look better moved above the baseline (currently the horizontal lines in all of the bitmaps appear one pixel below the baseline for me). The truncation bitmaps would look best centered with respect to the lower case center of gravity (I'm sure this is not easy to compute reliably so an acceptable alternative might be to align the bottom of the arrow with or just below the baseline). The ellipses should be at or slightly above the baseline, particularly for the left continuation indicator, which may be mistaken for being associated with the following line with current placement.