Re: Ready to start serious work on VC mode again

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Ready to start serious work on VC mode again
Date: Thu, 01 May 2008 21:54:11 +0200

Paul R <address@hidden> writes:

> "Stephen J. Turnbull" <address@hidden> writes:
>

>>  > Multiple back ends is kind of a wacky edge case;
>>
>> I don't agree.  Multiple back end workspaces are going to be quite
>> common *among the population of people who are likely to turn into
>> vc.el hackers*.  DAK obviously uses them, I do, Barry Warsaw (Mailman
>> maintainer and Python release engineer) uses them on at least three
>> projects, and that's just a few folks I know.
>>
>> You want this feature to shine, I think.
>
> Does anybody have a clear idea about how VC should behave in such a
> situation ?
> Should it warn when opening a file because this file is under 2 or
> more vcs ? Should user be prompted at this point to choose which to
> use for next VC commands on this file ? Should user be able to save
> its preference for each file ? For each project ?

vc-handled-backends is a variable defined in `vc-hooks.el'.
Its value is
(GIT RCS CVS SVN SCCS Bzr Git Hg Mtn Arch MCVS)

Documentation:
List of version control backends for which VC will be used.
Entries in this list will be tried in order to determine whether a
file is under that sort of version control.
Removing an entry from the list prevents VC from being activated
when visiting a file managed by that backend.
An empty list disables VC altogether.

You can customize this variable.

This variable was introduced, or its default value was changed, in
version 23.1 of Emacs.