Re: Next release

From: Nick Roberts
Subject: Re: Next release
Date: Fri, 2 May 2008 11:07:10 +1200

 > If bugs are present in EMACS_22_BASE, they should be fixed there.

They should but the reality is that they aren't.  It's more work to commit
changes to two separate branches and there's the complication of the
automatic/manual merging process.  Since there might not even be a release from
EMACS_22_BASE, I suspect people make a value judgement on their time.

 >                                                                    Why
 > would releasing 22.3 create a bad impression, especially if Emacs 23
 > ends up taking 5 years or more again?

It was the same with 21.3.  It looks like there has been less development on
Emacs than is actually the case and, in some ways, at the time of the release,
the trunk will be less buggy.