Re: Next release

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Next release
Date: Sun, 04 May 2008 12:00:31 -0400

> Now in this case, we had a conscious decision to incorporate code into
> Emacs that was not in that state, and where its author was no longer
> available.

IIUC the multi-tty code isn't particularly tricky.  The problem is the
input handling in general, and its interaction with signals, multiple
threads, and the GUI event-loop or callbacks.  This part is tricky, and
varies between platforms.  The multi-tty code was written for X11 and
worked there, but apparently the merge into the Carbon port was done by
someone who doesn't understand the way the Carbon port handles input
(which seems to be a particularly tricky problem, since IIUC it's been
changed a few times and works (or fails to) yet differently in the
Emacs.app code).

So yes, our code has dark corners that are poorly understood.
But I don't think the multi-tty code is really it.

        Stefan