Re: x-selection-exists-p vs x-get-selection

From: Jason Rumney
Subject: Re: x-selection-exists-p vs x-get-selection
Date: Sun, 04 May 2008 21:43:03 +0100

Eli Zaretskii wrote:
And there's no meaning to
``owner'' of the clipboard contents, since the stuff is already in the
clipboard and is ``owned'' by the GUI subsystem of the OS.

There are two ways to use the clipboard in Windows. One is to put stuff on the clipboard, handing over ownership to Windows. The other is to claim ownership of the clipboard, and if and when another program wants to paste, you get a message requesting to render the contents to the clipboard. Emacs was changed to use the latter method some time ago, as it is much more efficient for cases where the clipboard data is only ever used inside Emacs.

Also, I think we support primary and secondary selection within Emacs even on Windows, but there is no standard way to support this between programs (though Cygwin X probably has a convention we could follow if someone feels this is important enough to work on).