Re: Emacs plugin system & Gecko embedding

From: Lennart Borgman (gmail)
Subject: Re: Emacs plugin system & Gecko embedding
Date: Mon, 05 May 2008 17:44:55 +0200

Richard M Stallman wrote:
A browser inside Emacs: do you agree that this would only make sense if all text editing was governed by Emacs, i.e. each text area was handled by Emacs directly as a buffer?
    (Is that doable with the new Gecko library?)

I agree.  If it is a matter only of having a browser display inside
the Emacs frame, we might as well do so by fork/exec'ing the other
program and telling it to display on part of the Emacs frame.

I think that even without text editing it might be useful when editing web pages. The browser inside Emacs could perhaps be updated with an idle timer in a more controlled way than an external browser.