Re: Redesigh of the VC front end

From: Karl Fogel
Subject: Re: Redesigh of the VC front end
Date: Mon, 05 May 2008 21:29:36 -0400

"Eric S. Raymond" <address@hidden> writes:
> More generally, these rules are messy and complicated.  They have a
> functional gap as well; there is no way at all to designate a selection that
> says "I don't care where we are, operate on the entire repo", which is
> an important concept when doing (say) commits or log-print requests on
> any VCS from Subversion onwards.

When you say "repo", do you sometimes mean what Subversion would call
the "working copy" and sometimes mean what Subversion would call the
"repository"?

For commits, I interpret your "repo" as the former, but when you said
"log-print" I interpreted it as the latter...

> 2. When the backend supports the concept, every vc-dir buffer has a
> special top-line entry that can be marked to select the entire repo.

...and especially here I'd like to really understand what you mean by
"repo", so I can understand exactly what the above-proposed behavior is.

Hope you're feeling better now,
-Karl