Re: vc-directory breakage

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: vc-directory breakage
Date: Tue, 06 May 2008 08:36:55 +0200

"Eric S. Raymond" <address@hidden> writes:

> The recommended change may be a good idea, but I'm not sure.  Those
> backend checks are now being done at file granularity because some
> people were vocal about support for mixing multiple VCSes in a
> directory.  If we depended on a per-directory buffer-local variable,
> that would get more difficult.

Not at all.  The buffer-local variable is just used for starting off the
directory in the right mode and keeping it there.

The question one needs to solve is what to do when a command would reuse
*vc-dir* and would have an idea gained from the buffer where the command
has been issued just what backend *vc-dir* should be using, and *vc-dir*
is actually different.

There are two solutions I see for that: it could scrap the existing
buffer completely, or it could get-buffer-create *vc-dir*<backend> (with
the proper backend spelled out in the brackets).  If the normal mode of
operation would scrap the buffer too without leaving existing
information in it, that would be the obvious choice.