Re: customizing key definitions with Customize

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: customizing key definitions with Customize
Date: Fri, 16 May 2008 20:00:35 +0200

Richard M Stallman <address@hidden> writes:

>     I can see some use value in not always presenting a user, by
>     default, with a complete keymap to customize. That's all. That
>     doesn't mean we couldn't also provide a way for a user to go ahead
>     and customize the whole keymap. I'm thinking of user convenience
>     and possible confusion.
>
> Perhaps you are right.  I think that the first task is to define the
> mechanism so it can implement both modes.  Then we could decide which
> of the two modes should be the default.

The problem with customizing the whole keymap is that it should shake
the modifications out and store just the difference against the default
map.  Otherwise, any modifications of the defaults by the package
authors will not picked up.

Also we use the keymaps to store toolbar and menubar data, and we do
that in a precomputed manner.  That's not something we want to throw at
the user by default.

--
David Kastrup