Re: (re)display problems after font backend merge

From: Stephen Berman
Subject: Re: (re)display problems after font backend merge
Date: Sat, 17 May 2008 14:30:39 +0200

On Sat, 17 May 2008 04:19:12 +0100 David De La Harpe Golden <address@hidden>
wrote:

> Stephen Berman wrote:
>
>> For ascii:
>>
>> -unknown-DejaVu Sans Mono-normal-normal-normal-*-12-*-*-*-m-0-iso8859-1
>>

> Call it (a)
>
>> For the non-ascii characters:
>>
>> -gnu-unifont-medium-r-normal--16-160-75-75-p-80-iso10646-1
>>

> Call it (b)
>
> This is mostly me trying to understand something:
>
> Those (a) and (b) look like XLFD font specs, as used by X core 1-bit
> fonts - see output of command xlsfonts [*]
>
>> This is post-merge, in the pre-merge buffer, the corresponding line of
>> the character description for both ascii and non-ascii characters is
>> this:
>>
>> dejavu sans
>> mono:pixelsize=12:foundry=unknown:weight=medium:slant=r:width=normal
>>

> Call it (c).   That looks like a fontconfig font spec, as used by xft
> antialiased fonts - see output of fc-list [*]
>
> Are you setting X resource "Emacs.FontBackend: xft"? I've found that
> without that, I get a strange mix of decent and horrible font rendering
> as xft fonts (yay) and x core fonts (boo) are apparently both used somehow?

I have not been setting any X resources, though the distribution I'm
using (openSUSE 10.3) does set default X resources for Emacs, though
"Emacs.FontBackend: xft" is not among them.  I just put that in
~/.Xresources and started a fresh Emacs, but I don't see any difference:
the broken underlining and Gnus Summary buffer problems I documented are
still present.

Steve Berman