Problem understanding git

From: Lynbech Christian
Subject: Problem understanding git
Date: Fri, 23 May 2008 13:54:05 +0200

Thanks to the good help from the list, I now have a git repository to
track which will work with the company firewall.

But I am having some problems in finding how to get git to do what I want.

I have first cloned the repository from

        http://git.sv.gnu.org/r/emacs.git

Now I want to update this, ie. do the equivalent of a "cvs update".

On one machine, where I have git version 1.5.5.1, I just do a "git pull"
and the updates comes pouring in, but when I try the same on my laptop
where I only have git version 1.5.3.4, I get the following (to me)
cryptic error message:

        You asked me to pull without telling me which branch you
        want to merge with, and 'branch.master.merge' in
        your configuration file does not tell me either.  Please
        name which branch you want to merge on the command line and
        try again (e.g. 'git pull <repository> <refspec>').
        See git-pull(1) for details on the refspec.

        If you often merge with the same branch, you may want to
        configure the following variables in your configuration
        file:

            branch.master.remote = <nickname>
            branch.master.merge = <remote-ref>
            remote.<nickname>.url = <url>
            remote.<nickname>.fetch = <refspec>

        See git-config(1) for details.

I have so far been unable to deduce how to get the slightly older git
to do the update.

Is there a kind soul out there who could help enlighten me?

Christian Lynbech       | christian #\@ defun #\. dk
                                        - address@hidden (Michael A. Petonic)