Re: face-remapping patch

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: face-remapping patch
Date: Thu, 29 May 2008 01:33:00 +0900

Chong Yidong <address@hidden> writes:
>> I've attached my face-remapping patch to this message (I needed to
>> untangle it from some other changes).
>>
>> I've used regularly in my personal emacs for many years, and in light
>> testing the patch seems to work fine against the current trunk.
>
> Looks reasonable, but could you explain what problem this solves?  Under
> what circumstances would a user or an Elisp library prefer to use
> face-remapping instead of redefining faces directly?

What I personally use it for most of the time is a little
`variable-pitch-mode' minor mode, which makes the text in the current
buffer display text using the variable-pitch face.

It's sort of a perennial feature request too ... "Can I somehow
re-define face XXX in only a single buffer?"

-Miles

--
Bride, n. A woman with a fine prospect of happiness behind her.