Re: pretest, devel and bug lists

From: Stephen Berman
Subject: Re: pretest, devel and bug lists
Date: Thu, 29 May 2008 00:03:42 +0200

On Wed, 28 May 2008 15:48:58 -0400 Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> wrote:

>>> The way things are setup now:
>>>
>>> - all mail to bug-gnu-emacs first goes through the bug-tracker.
>>> I.e. all mail received by bug-gnu-emacs recipients comes from the
>>> bug-tracker.
>>> - emacs-pretest-bug and emacs-devel are competely separate from the
>>> bug-tracker.
>
>> Does this mean that bug reports sent to emacs-pretest-bug will not
>> get assigned a bug number anymore?
>
> They never have, AFAIK (except for a temporarily bug in my mail filter
> and except for those that someone manually forwarded to the bug-tracker).

But you *are* in favor of using the bug tracker for bug reports about
development Emacs, i.e., what emacs-pretest-bug is now used for, right?
At least that is how I understand your reply (>) to my post (>>) in this
thread:

>> If this is done, should *no* bug reports be sent any longer to
>> emacs-devel (and if they were, would that lower their chances of getting
>> attended to)?  It might be helpful for a maintainer to issue a policy
>> statement (preferably clearly recognizable as such) about this.
>
> Bug reports linked to transient problems (e.g, bootstrap problems)
> should not go to the bug tracker.  Any other bug report which you want
> people to attend to eventually should go to the bug tracker (where it's
> more difficult to let them disappear).
>

>         Stefan

I support at least routing posts to emacs-pretest-bug to the bug
tracker, and would also like to see a full-featured Emacs interface to
it.

Steve Berman