Re: window groups

From: martin rudalics
Subject: Re: window groups
Date: Fri, 30 May 2008 09:07:06 +0200

> It seems to me that, in practice, any Elisp application that needs to
> control the window configuration will probably want to control over the
> entire frame.  Otherwise, the resulting windows will likely be too
> small.  WDYT?

One operation of ECB is to make the editor area comprise the entire
frame and revert that operation to make view windows visible again.
This can be done on-the-fly with `clone-window-configuration'.

> If so, maybe all that needs to be done, infrastructure
> wise, is a few functions for, e.g., creating window configurations from
> scratch, rather than window groups.

The major problem with window configurations "created from scratch" is
that you have to devise that configuration first, memorize it, and
eventually recall it.  Personally, I prefer an approach where I can
change the layout of windows in an ad hoc manner without having to
resort to predefined configurations frequently.

> I also think that the main problem here is the *user interface* to allow
> the user to choose one of several window configurations, akin to the
> "perspectives browser".  Have you thought about how that might be
> implemented?

I thought about using the layout engine provided by ECB.