Re: Three strikes them out

From: joakim
Subject: Re: Three strikes them out
Date: Sat, 31 May 2008 17:33:33 +0200

martin rudalics <address@hidden> writes:

> Stop what?  All idle timers?  That's hardly possible if the timer fires
> before you finished typing that key sequence.  If, on the other hand,
> you manage earlier keyboard events get through you will stop all timers
> whenever you mishappen to type C-g repeatedly.
>
> If there's a bug fix the bug.  If the bug is caused by a function run by
> a timer make the delay larger or run the function manually to find the
> bug.  In general any function run by a timer must be safe - that is exit
> quickly wrt real time and never cause any reentrancy.

I agree with Lennart that Emacs should provide more facilities to get
out of awkward situations. Sure, fix the bug, but how is any given Emacs
user affected by some Emacs bug somewhere supposed to do that?

Lennarts "c-g repeatedly" maybe wasnt the best example. Surely this
doesnt exclude the possibility of adding some other helpful feature?

I, for example, would like a facility to attach GDB on a keystroke, and
some nice(r) gdb macros to examine why emacs is ill. But thats me.

--
Joakim Verona