Re: tab widths with a remapped default face

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: tab widths with a remapped default face
Date: Fri, 06 Jun 2008 16:26:48 +0900

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:
> IIUC your patch changes the TAB size to depend on the face applied to
> the TAB.  The current code was consciously not doing that, IIRC, tho
> I can't quite remember the reason for it.
>
> Could we make it use the space_width of the font used for the
> default face?

It would be a bit more code, not sure if it would be a speed problem or
not.

Using the TAB face for tab-width calculation seems much likely to
preserve the local integrity of indentation (using the default face
means that mixed space and tab indentation will often not be the same as
space-only indentation).  It seems a bit more intuitive to me as well.

However, if there is a significant case where using the default face for
calculations is better, it would be good to know it, but it seems a bit
silly to make decisions based on vague recollections.

-Miles

--
Absurdity, n. A statement or belief manifestly inconsistent with one's own
opinion.