Re: buffer name completion is case-sensitive now

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: buffer name completion is case-sensitive now
Date: Sun, 08 Jun 2008 21:28:41 +0300

> From: "Drew Adams" <address@hidden>
> Date: Sun, 8 Jun 2008 10:48:18 -0700
> Cc: 'Richard G Riley' <address@hidden>,
>       'Emacs-Devel' <address@hidden>
>
> > With the introduction of `read-file-name-completion-ignore-case'
> > there's less need to have an MS-Windows specific
> > default value of `completion-ignore-case'.
>
> Irrelevant. This is about completion of _buffer_ names, not file names. Try
> completing `*m' to *Messages* now - doesn't work.
>
> No one is questioning what `read-file-name' should do; this is about
> `completing-read' with buffer names.

Buffer-name completion was case-insensitive on Windows because there
was no mechanism to request case-insensitive file-name completion
except making _all_ completions case-insensitive.  Now there _is_ a
way to request that for file names only.

I'm not saying that I'm necessarily in favor of the change, I'm just
explaining what John was saying, because it's not ``irrelevant''.

> > Are there any other examples
> > where case sensitivity is problematic?
>
> Dunno what you mean.
>
> Are you proposing to also change the traditional behavior for other kinds of
> completion?  I certainly hope other such changes won't be made.
>
> Or are you asking if the same improper behavior occurs now for more than just
> buffer names? I've only noticed it wrt buffer names.
>
> Please revert this "experimental" change.

Please at least explain why you think buffer-name completion should be
case-insensitive, on Windows or elsewhere.  Otherwise, this is not a
rational discussion, and will lead nowhere.