Re: Longlines mode in menu

From: David Reitter
Subject: Re: Longlines mode in menu
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2008 11:48:44 +0100

On 5 Jun 2008, at 06:42, Chong Yidong wrote:

Someone just suggested to me that Longlines mode should have an entry in
the Options menu of the menu-bar.  This seems reasonable to me: new
users are likely to come across situations where Longlines mode is
necessary, but not know of its existence. Windows notepad has had such
an item in its menu for a while.

Are you aware that syntax hightlighting is broken with longlines mode?
Any (line-based) comments, e.g. in LaTeX, will make it fail.

When you comment out formulae in LaTeX and they get wrapped in middle, parsing fails with consequences for the remainder of the buffer. E.g.,:

%  \begin{quote}
%  $P_e(N_i|C_j)$  is empirically defined as  $F(N_i \&
C_j)/F(C_j)$,
% where $F(N_i \& C_j)$  is the number of times $i$ is needed

It seems that syntax highlighting does not know about soft and hard line breaks.

Are there any news on the display-time word wrapping patch by Kim Storm?
Back then when he posted the first incarnation, things almost worked as intended.