Re: Contradiction in Elisp page "File Local Variables"

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Contradiction in Elisp page "File Local Variables"
Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2008 10:32:19 -0400

> On the Elisp page "File Local Variables", it says this about the setting
> `:all' for `enable-local-variables':

>     `:all'
>           Set all the variables and do not query.

> Lower down on the page, it defines `ignored-local-variables':

>      This variable holds a list of variables that should not be given
>      local values by files.  Any value specified for one of these
>      variables is completely ignored.

> The two compete with eachother.  The fine source code shows that
> ignored-local-variables wins.  Here's a patch to fix it:

I guess your patch is OK, although I'd prefer a new wording that makes
it unnecessary to refer from one variable/value to the other.
E.g. if :all only said something along the lines of "Pretend the user
replies yes to all queries" [obviously that wording is bad, don't
bother shooting it down].

        Stefan