Re: Lost antialias?

From: Chong Yidong
Subject: Re: Lost antialias?
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2008 20:43:39 -0400

Miles Bader <address@hidden> writes:

> Chong Yidong <address@hidden> writes:
>> How about treating "Helv" and "Courier" specially in
>> ffont_resolve_generic_family, similar to "Sans" and "Mono"?
>
> Why don't we just change the default face definitions to something more
> appropriate on a modern system?

That could work too.  How about combining the defface redefinition with
a change to face-font-family-alternatives so that this will work on
Windows and Mac?  (I'm not sure what the appropriate fonts are for those
platforms, though.)

(defface fixed-pitch
  '((t :family "Monospace"))
  "The basic fixed-pitch face."
  :group 'basic-faces)

(defcustom face-font-family-alternatives
  '(("Monospace" "DejaVu Sans Mono" [WINDOWS AND MAC FONTS]  "fixed")
    ....))

What font should we use for variable-pitch?  Bitstream Vera Sans?

> Maybe it would be also useful to support something like web-browsers
> use, where you could specify a "family" of "Dejavu Sans,Helvetica,Sans",
> and it would split the list at the commas and use the first one it could
> find.

That could be useful, if Handa (or someone else) wants to implement it.
Otherwise, I guess it's not crucial.