Re: Lost antialias?

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: Lost antialias?
Date: Sat, 21 Jun 2008 16:57:22 +0900

James Cloos <address@hidden> writes:
> IIRC, the issue was that the quality of the glyphs added by DejaVu might
> not be the same as those in Vera, and perhaps other fonts should take
> precedence for languages and scripts in that catagory.
>
> i tend to disagree, but my impression was that he got feedback from
> distributions—who had gotten feedback from their userbase—essentially
> requesting the current choice.

What's funny is that the few times I've noticed the difference --
usually an oddly accented character in the middle of a name -- the
Vera+Something-Else-Random rendering was egregiously, stupendously,
awful (e.g., a badly-scaled fixed-with font with serifs, in the middle
of a Vera Sans string, at twice the height...).

I'm betting on "Our users request that nothing at all be changed, ever"
myself...

-miles

--
We live, as we dream -- alone....