RE: Another neat Eclipse'ism

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Another neat Eclipse'ism
Date: Sat, 21 Jun 2008 09:03:32 -0700

> > Again:
> > http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/HighlightCurrentColumn
> >
> > Some of the other aids are less in-your-face than
> > col-highlight.el. Some are "barely noticeable".
>
> Agreed.  In particular, vline mode with a suitable face is a
> reasonable solution.

1. col-highlight.el *uses* vline.el. (It used to use column-marker.el.)

What applies to the face for vline.el applies also to the face for
col-highlight.el. See option `col-highlight-vline-face-flag', which lets you
choose between `col-highlight-face' and `vline-face'.

2. FWIW, http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/ModeLinePosition is perhaps even
less noticeable. It highlights the column in the mode line when greater than
some limit.

BTW, a year ago, Richard asked that this be installed in Emacs, but I can't see
that it was. If it was, what is the user-definable column limit variable?

[2007-06-24: Thread "mode line: 1) indicate region size, if active; 2) highlight
column # if > limit".]

3. If you are trying to shorten particularly long lines in code, you might also
be interested in this:
http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/FindLongLines#goto-longest-line

This is particularly handy to use with Isearch. isearch+.el binds
`goto-longest-line' to `C-end': `C-s C-end C-end C-end...'
http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/IsearchPlus