Re: longlines-show-hard-newlines - should not the default be t?

From: Lennart Borgman (gmail)
Subject: Re: longlines-show-hard-newlines - should not the default be t?
Date: Sun, 22 Jun 2008 12:02:45 +0200

Miles Bader wrote:
"Lennart Borgman (gmail)" <address@hidden> writes:
I think the default value should be t. I think longlines can be quite
confusing otherwise.

The current behavior is _exactly_ like the overwhelming majority of
windows/mac/gnome/etc text-entry displays:  they treat hard newlines as
paragraph boundaries, but do not visually differentiate them from
automatically wrapped lines.  [Though the difference is usually fairly
obvious because of whitespace]

That is not nice, you are stealing my usual arguments ;-)

I often get frustrated by the fact that hard newlines are not displayed in other applications. For example trying to cowrite something with someone unaware of this may be a lot of extra work.

This has been addressed in word processors, but admittedly they do not show hard new lines by default. I guess however that this is because they normally have less technical aware users.

There are certainly times when one wants to explicitly show hard
newlines, but it shouldn't be the default.

One reason to show hard newlines as default is that Emacs displays the buffer different when longlines-mode is on. It is then an analogy to the fringes shown for wrapped lines.

-Miles