Re: Faces applies to new frames

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Faces applies to new frames
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2008 21:28:48 -0400

> AFAICT, the problem is that the default face is controlled by the `font'
> frame parameter, but this is not saved to default-frame-alist by
> internal-set-lisp-face-attribute.  In comparison, the foreground-color

I'm not convinced this is the root of the problem.  For one, by default
there is no `font' parameter in default-frame-alist, so as long as we
leave it that way, it should not affect face settings.  The code in
face-set-after-frame-default should apply the defface-spec to every
new frame, so we shouldn't need any entry in default-frame-alist for it
to apply to new frames.  The face-set-after-frame-default used to skip
`default', so that was an important reason for the bug#47.  I've fixed
this part, but there are other weird things going on (I have some other
weird problems here where X resources are obeyed even after I remove
the calls to `make-face-x-resource-internal').

I think we need to write down every step of how faces are initialized
for each frame (then lament the fact faces are the same on all frames in
99.99% of the cases), then how frame-parameters are treated, and then
how they affect each other.

        Stefan