Re: [Emacs-diffs] Changes to emacs/src/fns.c,v

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] Changes to emacs/src/fns.c,v
Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2008 19:51:33 +0300

> From: Kenichi Handa <address@hidden>
> CC: address@hidden
> Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2008 21:49:01 +0900
>
> In article <address@hidden>, Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > Yes, but what is "ispell"?  Is it a shell script that invokes Aspell,
> > or a binary program?  What does "ispell -vv" show?
>
> Here is it.
>
> % type ispell
> ispell is hashed (/usr/X11R6/bin/ispell)
> % file /usr/X11R6/bin/ispell
> /usr/X11R6/bin/ispell: ELF 32-bit LSB executable, Intel 80386, version 1
> (SYSV), for GNU/Linux 2.6.1, dynamically linked (uses shared libs), stripped

So this is indeed Ispell...

>       LANGUAGES =
> "{british,MASTERDICTS=british.med+,HASHFILES=britishmed+.hash,EXTRADICT=/usr/share/dict/british-english}
>
> {american,MASTERDICTS=american.med+,HASHFILES=americanmed+.hash,EXTRADICT=/usr/share/dict/american-english}"

...and this part says that the British dictionary is your default one.
You could verify this by comparing the files default.hash and
britishmed+.hash (I expect the former to be the hard link to the
latter).  So try changing that to "american" (you can do that in
Emacs, by one of the customizations offered by ispell.el).