Re: Short explanation for & in key ! of dired

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: Short explanation for & in key ! of dired
Date: Sat, 28 Jun 2008 10:04:57 +0900

Juri Linkov <address@hidden> writes:
>> One temporary non-saved buffer for all that does not accumulate more
>> than a specified maximum (similar to *Messages*) should be fine, I
>> think.
>
> Everyone has different needs in different circumstances.  I often execute
> long-running programs in background and want to see their output, but
> don't care about output when running GUI apps.

Ther could be a variable (e.g. "command-name-default-discard-output")
which controls that behavior, and C-u could invert the sense of that
default.

When _not_ discarding output, I think in general it should (1) always
make a new buffer (to allow convenient use of multiple simultaneous
background commands), and (2) maybe bury the buffer at first.

That might satisfy all the viewpoints expressed thus far
(you:  default nil, C-u for occasional gui app, me: default t, C-u for
debugging).

-Miles

--
`...the Soviet Union was sliding in to an economic collapse so comprehensive
 that in the end its factories produced not goods but bads: finished products